Saturday, July 24, 2004

Hot

The heat is slowing me down. Its about 85 degrees outside and still climbing. I spend my Saturday afternoons out in Lynwood walking dogs at the PAWS shelter -- it is by far one of the sanest and most spiritually healthy things I do all week. Today, however, it's going to be HOT! I'm not a big fan of hot weather which goes on for more than a few days. This is one of the reasons why I left the South so many years ago. Besides that, I am currently busier than I have ever been -- working more hours and longer days, spending more time on the busses, even starting to run again these last few weeks. The combination is really pushing me into my stuff about heat, sweat, corporeality. That, after all, is what it's all about. Having a body. I'm not comfortable with mine, even in its current slimmer, starting-to-get-back-into-shape condition. It's a male human body with all the primate functions that such bodies have -- including sweat. The body, in this kind of weather, is just a little bit too real, too physical, too inescapable -- and so my self-consciousness escalates. Its hard to feel romantic, or oratorical, or intellectual, or idealistic, or any of those other soaring states when you are hot and sweaty.

I'm not fond of hot weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home